Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Interview with Pest done by Patrick 7-23-13

Metal Hails!!
Here is a interview I have done with a dark old-school metal band that refuses to bow down to any trends and just Follow their own path.Sweden's Pest don't really need an introduction but if you enjoy your black metal raw,simplistic with a old-school attitude and sound you won't hear a better band.So pick up Pest's latest release  "The Crowning Horror" through Agonia  Rec.
Keep the flames of metal burning bright!!
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com





Interview with Necro  drummer  for Pest  done  by Patrick


1.Metal  hails Necro! how are things in Sweden for you? Please introduce yourself to the  readers?



 Things are allright. I am one of the two founding members of the blasphemy known as PEST. PEST was babtized in fire and death in the year of 97.




2.At what age did you first discover metal?Who  were some of the first bands you listened to?Who are some of your "current" favorite bands?


 I was 6 years old and got hooked on the ”Under the Blade” album by Twisted Sister. The title track and ”Destroyer” were my favorites, I remember them as really ”dark” and ”scary” tracks. I guess that’s the truth when you are six years of age, at least. I grew up on the country side so I didn’t get ”much help” in discovering new bands that quick. But I soon discovered Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond and so on. When I was 11 I ordered ”Morbid Visions” by Sepultura. Yeah, they went crap, but that album was really harsh and different (even today it sounds weird!) and changed me somewhat. I had never heard such a display of barbaric evil before. It was this album, in combination with the early Morbid Angel records, that made me decide to someday play in a band that was just as evil soundning.
Current, allthough not very active in many cases, favorite bands include; Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Future Tense, Gotham City, Pokolgép, Kat, Brocas Helm, Sarcofagus, Black Hole, Vulcano, Berserks, Drakar, Master’s Hammer and soooo fuckin’ oooonnnn…. I have tons of favorite bands!



3.when did you and the other members of Pest first meet?Was it long until formed the band?What is the current line up?For the readers who have never heard Pest's music how would you describe the music?




 I met Equimanthorn the same year we started PEST – in 1997. We formed a band the same day we met for the first time and we soon left it to form PEST. Our current line-up, for the album, also includes Insulter. He plays the drums on most of the tracks on this release. I first met Insulter in 97 as well, but we got to know eachother around 2005 I think. I was quite often on the road with Nifelheim (the band he played with) the following years, acting as a ”roadie/fixer” and when he eventually asked us for a part in the madness, we decided It was time to let someone new into the band.
It’s hard to describe our music since we aim not to release the same album over and over again. We do what we want. We don’t care what you think. We don’t care about fame, fortune or record sales.



4.Pest  recently released their  new cd "The Crowning Horror" through Agonia Rec.how did you come in contact with Agonia Rec.? Happy with the job they have done so far?


 We sent Filip an email. He wanted to cooperate. So far all is well, he seems to listen to what we think is important. We don’t like to be ripped off so let’s hope he continues to play his cards right.


5.How long did it take the band to write/record the songs for the  new release? How has the response been from the press and  the  fans?


 Quite some time. We started working on the 7” (”Black Oath c/w Morbid Revelations”, released in April 2013 by Agonia) and the album in late 2008/early 2009. At some point we realised that it (writing and recording) would take its time this time around, and we felt really ok with that. It shouldn’t be rushed, we had no reason to do so.
We’ve not received any feedback as of yet. The album isn’t released until next month (June 18th and today is May 16th).


6.How often does the band practice/work on new music?When you do start working on a new song how long does it usually take to complete a song?


 This varies very much. I try to start the writing of the next thing to come when we are in the mixing process of the current work. When I usually get a feeling of what has to come.


7.Which usually comes first for a new song the music or lyrics?Speaking of lyrics who usually writes lyrics and what are some topics/subjects you write about?


For me, it usually starts with a concept or a lead guitar riff. Me and Equimanthorn writes the music and the lyrics. The ”topics/subjects” tend to, to the common christian, be of an evil nature … No shit?! Well, you should know that it’s all about darkness and Death by now? The crowning horror, for some …
Anyway, most of the lyrics comes with both the LP and the CD.


8.Pest comes out of the  legendary Swedish metal scene,so I was wondering what is your opinion of Sweden's metal scene today comared to the late eighties/mid nineties?

 It is better now than in early 2000. But I can’t really compare it to the 80’s or early 90’s.


9.Who are some of your all-time favorite Swedish metal  bands?Are their any new metal bands you feel the readers should check out soon?




Old: Bathory, Treblinka, Morbid, Gotham City, Dissection. Nifelheim, Neptune, Explusion, Mefisto ... to mention a few.
New: Black Trip, Dagger … (I am too possessed by the old stuff to manage to keep up!)



10.In your opinion what does the term underground metal mean to you?



 No shortcuts, no trends.



11.Are you or any member of Pest currently working with any other bands/side projects? If yes please tell the readers a little about them.



Yes, some underground things. But this interview is for PEST and PEST only.



12.Necro you handle the drums for the band at what age did you start playing drums?Are you self taught or did take lessons when you were younger?




I got my first kit when I was 7. I took lessons from around 89-90 to 92-93, but it was rubbish. They didn’t accept the things I wanted to play. So I quit and didn’t bother playing again until around 97. I am not a skillful drummer, I am chaos with a burning will. But some people seem to actually like my ”style”. From the beginning I had to play the drums, because we had no alternative. I will continue to play, I think, even if Insulter stays with us, I enjoy doing it as much as it frustrates me.



13.Who are some of your  influences/favorite drummers? Do you play any other instruments besides drums?



 I like different kinds of drummers. Pete Sandoval (Pure genious!), Witchhunter (Iron will!), Fenriz (in the old days, when he did exactly what the tracks needed, no more, no less). Mike Mangini is maybe the sickest drummer of them all, but he’s forever doomed to play in shitty bands so you could only enjoy his drum solos really. I also like the perfection of the 70’s drummers, it’s just so fuckin’ perfect!
To answer the second part of your question, I play the guitar as well and I still handle most of the vocals.




14.Well Necro we have reached the end of the interview,thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview. Do you have any final comments?



 Thanks for the support. Buy the LP, fuck the digital mp3-torture. Hail the darkness, welcome Death! 


To  Order your copy of  Pest-The Crowning Horror from Agonia Rec.  check out the label site here.
www.agoniarecords.com



No comments:

Post a Comment