Sunday, September 8, 2013

Interview with Fear Theories done by Patrick 9-8-13

Metal Hails!
Usually when you think of Norway you instantly think of Norse,viking black metal   or barbaric death metal  but not this time!! this time we get the genuine sounds of  traditional heavy metal,thrash mixed with some rockNroll done by the brand new band Fear Theories!! the band may be a new one to the scene but I see them going pretty far with their sound and genuine attitude and  hard work,and great musicianship nothing will be able to stop them.  so defintly get  ahold of the bands Debut release "So It  Begins"  whether it is digital or a physical copy {i'm honestly not sure how many copies the band made so you might have to  contact the band if your not interested in a digital copy}
  or if your a label looking for a great band to work with defintly check this band out you won't be disappointed.
enjoy the interview keep the flames of metal burning eternally
Patrick  and Primitive Ways web-zine
fiendformetal@live.com


Interview with Ole Sonstabo lead guitarist of Fear Theories done by Patrick

1.Hello Ole how are things going in Norway? Please introduce yourself to the readers.


Hi! Things are going well, we just got back home from a small gig in Oslo so I’m half asleep right now.
My Name is, as you already know, Ole. I’m 20 years old and I play guitar in Fear Theories. I also write a lot of the material.

2.When did you first discover the metal scene? Who were some of the first bands you listened to? Who are some of your current favorite bands that have caught your attention?


The first metal band I got into was Metallica. I was around 12 and my sisters had been pushing it on me for a while. I started listening around when I started playing the guitar. When I discovered Metal music it was like I had spent my whole life asleep. Later I started listening to other bands. When I first started listening to Iron Maiden, I got that feeling of being asleep my whole life again. At that point I begun to check out a lot of bands including Exodus, Kreator, Judas Priest, Testament, Evile etc.
My current favorite bands are Iron Maiden, Testament, Evile, Judas Priest, Kreator and many many more, there’s just so much great stuff out there. I really can’t decide on just one.

3.When did you first meet the other members of Fear Theories?  What is the "current" line-up? How did you all come up with the band name?


I met the guys in 2010 when I recorded a solo for a punk song of theirs. Andreas asked me to join the band, which was planning to quit playing together. But the other guys got the spark back when the band was complete, and the line-up hasn’t changed since.
After several name changes, I came up with “Fear Theories” in my Grandma’s funeral. I remembered some of my uncles coal drawings, which look very scary and such. The name Fear Theories just popped into my head and the guys liked it!

 
4.For the readers who have never heard Fear Theories how would you best describe the bands music?


Heavy/Power/Thrash-rock metal. Sort of. We like to call it a mix between the old school metal and the modern metal. It may sound like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Kvelertak etc.



5.Fear Theories has just self-released their debut Mcd "So It Begins" how long did it take the band to write and record the songs for this release?


The songs on our EP are the best songs we managed to write since the start. We recorded it in 2012 and it took us about a week.



6.How has the response been from the metal fans and the metal press so far?

 

Nothing but great! The reviews we’ve gotten on our EP is just amazing! We never thought we were that good to be honest. Sometime I get recognized on the street in our city and people just tell me how great the show was and how happy he/she was that he/she saw us. Things like that makes me wish I could do this forever.


7.Does the band plan to look for a label to release future Fear Theories releases or do you all plan to stay independent and release stuff on your own?
 
 


We hope to get snatched by a label because that way you get the music out a lot easier and we can record stuff a lot more.



8.Speaking of Fear Theories next release has the band had time to start working on any new songs for the next release? Have you guys decided if it will be a full-length or another Mcd?

 

Right now we’re working on 2 new songs. One of them is almost ready and the other one is only half done. We plan to release 2 singles once we get these songs recorded.
A full length is, sorry to say, still far away.


9.Does Fear Theories play Live very often? Who are some bands you all have shared the stage with? If you could set up a "dream" show who are some bands you would love to share the stage with?
 
 


We play live as much as we can! Just this weekend we’ve played live twice.
We played at this years Karmøygeddon Metal Festival. We played on a small stage but some great bands also used that stage. Gormathon, Nekromantheon, Sagh, Thundra, Backstreet Girls etc.
But our band logo was on the same bill as greats like Sabaton, Overkill, Eluveitie, Paradise Lost, Susperia etc. I would say this is our greatest accomplishment yet.



10.The band comes out of Norwegian metal scene, obviously everyone knows Norway for their death and black metal scene. But I wanted to ask you what is Norway's thrash/speed metal/rock scene like?
 
 

We have some great thrash bands like Nekromantheon, Tantara, Overthrow and such. The rock scene is great too, Humbucker, Kvelertak, Seigmen and those kind of bands are great. I think it’s awesome.

 


11.What is your opinion of the more extreme style of metal of metal like death or black metal? Who are some of your favorite death,black metal bands

 

My favorite death/black metal bands are Kataclysm, Cannibal Corpse, Mayhem and Immortal. but I’m not that much into Death and Black Metal. My genre is Heavy/Thrash metal.


 


12.Ole you handle the guitars for the band. When did you first become interested in playing guitars? Are you self-taught or did you take lessons when you were younger?
 
 


It all started when I was 12-13. My dad bought us (the kids) a cheap electric guitar. For me, this was the trigger. I also had a friend who was playing  I started with some Johnny Cash songs that me and my dad looked at. I also took a few lessons from a friend of my sister but I quit taking lessons and started playing on my own instead. I was self-taught until I was 18. I got into a school that teaches music theory and offers guitar lessons. I consider myself a far better guitarist now than before I started at that school. My technique was just horrible, but I got it sorted out.

 


13.Who are some of your influences/favorite guitarists? Do you play any other instruments?

 
 

My all time guitar hero is Kirk Hammett. I know he isn’t very good technically, but his solos are so memorable and just amazing work. Other influences are Gary Holt, Ol Drake, Alex Skolnick, Steve Vai, Eric Peterson, James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers and many more.
I play drums to. But people tell me I’m not great at it. I should stick to the guitar, hehe!


 

14.Well Ole thank you for taking the time for taking the time for doing this interview with me. Do you have any final words for the readers?

 
 

Thank YOU for the interview, and to all readers: Check out Fear Theories and spread the word! You can find our EP on Spotify, iTunes, Amazon, Soundcloud and possibly every other streaming app.
Thanks! - Ole



To learn more about Fear Theories check out their "Official" facebook page here.


  



No comments:

Post a Comment