Monday, October 14, 2013

Interview with D.J Heretic {BER} of Blasphemous Serenades,The Inquisition done by Patrick 10-14-13

Here is a new interview with a D.J Heretic from BER. after hearing his black metal show "Blasphemous Serenades" I knew I wanted to interview D.J Heretic and learn more about the man and his shows.Enjoy the interview and be sure to check out the BER site for showtimes and tune-in!! for all the quality metal you can handle.



Interview with D.J Heretic of Blasphemous Serenades and The Inquisition radio shows 10-14-13{on B.E.R} done by Patrick



1.Metal hails D.j Heretic How is your week going so far my friend? Please tell the readers a little about yourself.



It's Monday for me at the moment and I have the day off of work, so it's about as good as a Monday can be. Hahaha.



About myself, I'm 42 years old, married, kids, a house, a dog, a cat. I'm retired from the US Navy after 22+ years of active service and just really enjoying no longer being at the beck and call...



2.At what age did you first start listening to rock/metal music?Who were some of the early bands you listened to? Who are some of your current favorite bands?

I started listening to rock/metal in 1983, when I was 12. I started out with Van Halen, Ozzy, Judas Priest, Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.

I'm pretty much into the majority of metal styles and bands I listen to a lot are Enslaved, Borknagar, Death, Aosoth, Gorguts, Vintersorg, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Emperor, Blut Aus Nord, Behexen, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Rainbow (mostly Dio era), Deep Purple, Dio, Whitesnake (yes, Whitesnake), Fleshgod Apocalypse, etc. I'm sure that's a good representation of my tastes.



3.When did you discover the internet-radio station BER? Was it long until you joined their ranks as a d.j? How did you come up with the name of your radio shows?



I started to listen to BER in May of 2010 after I went to Maryland Deathfest and met someone that was a DJ on the station. It was then August of 2010 that I started hosting "The Inquisition" on BER.

4.Are The Inquisition and Blasphemous Serenades the first shows you have ever d.j'd for?I believe you told me you did a college radio show as well.Is this something you thought of doing professionally when you were younger or more of hobby/just for fun?



Actually, No. When I was 17 in highschool (1988/1989) I was friends with a guy that went to college in my home town and was the student station manager of the college FM radio station. They were short of DJs to fill out a metal day, and my best friend Jess & I were asked if we'd like to try it out. We did and considering the size of the school, station and our town it was a pretty successful run for us.

After that, I was in the navy and did nothing radio wise, until I started on BER.



5.For the readers who have never heard your radio shows on BER. how would you describe. What styles of metal,music do you play on them?



We have a bit of it all (except Nu-metal) none of us seem to like that much. Death, black, power, symphonic, Brutal death, doom, sludge, stoner, pagan, viking and even punk are all represented on BER.



6.If any bands or labels,P.R companies etc.. are reading this where can they send you submissions for you possible air-play?


They can send it to me directly at Heretic@brutalexistenceradio.com or they can send it to submissions@brutalexistenceradio.com and it will then be forwarded to the DJs that it best fits their show(s).



7.What would you say makes a good radio show? Would you have any advice for anyone reading this who might be thinking of trying out their own radio show sometime soon?



The first and easiest answer is a love of the music you play. I've listened to a lot of radio in my life and if the DJ doesn't care or doesn't like what they're playing it's pretty obvious and that's a huge turn off.


After that, to do a show on a station like BER, you need a pretty good collection. We play what we own. There is no library of tunes like a big stations and not all of us have the contacts to get freebies from bands or labels. I have been lucky enough to make friends of some bands/band members and they graciously send me stuff to play, but I'd say about 90% of what I play on my shows is stuff I have bought myself.



8.I know you have been a "fan" of the metal scene since the eighties so I was wondering how do you feel the metal scene has changed over the years?Do you feel technology has helped the scene grow over the yrs. or do you miss the days of "printed" fanzines,tape-trading etc..?



Well, one way that technology helps is the world wide reach of the internet. There really is no more mystery in music buying. You can hear entire albums online before you ever buy it.

Of course, technology has also made it easier to steal music per se. I love being able to BUY digital downloads, especially when I want to debut something on one of my shows and can't run out to a store to buy it in time. I'm not a fan of illegal downloading though. That's not really supporting the scene in the right way.

Growing up, one of my favorites things was to run to the local book shop to pick up the latest Circus, Hit Parader, etc magazine (yeah, I'm dating myself...Hahaha). I'll be honest though, at this point in my life I'm just as happy to get all my news online. I have a family and kids and my house is already cluttered. Old magazines laying around is the last thing I need.




9.In your opinion what is the best and worst thing about the underground?And what does the term "metal underground" mean to you?



The term to me, means hard working musicians that are doing music that they love and just trying to fulfill dreams of being in a band. Growing up I wanted to be, but I was never able to succeed because of the amount of time the Navy took up in my life. I was briefly in a band that never made it out of the garage, but it was a great time and I’ll have those memories forever.

The best of the underground are the bands that do it because they love it. They write and record and just want nothing more than to get their music out to the world. I’ve had people that send me their music and when I play it on air on BER, they are just over the moon happy to know that the music is getting out there and it’s going to be heard.

The worst: that’s a more difficult question. I think to my mind it might be the attitude of “unless it’s underground” it sucks. The elitist mindset that if more than 100 people like it or listen to it at one time, it must be mainstream and suck. As an example, I’ve heard people say that Emperor only had one good album, and then they started to suck. Ok, why? Is it because after “In the Nightside Eclipse” they started to experiment and grow and mature as musicians? THAT is crap...any band that puts out the same album time after time after time...well, that’s what sucks.






10.Besides the radio-shows I know you enjoy reading books,is reading something you have always enjoyed?Who are some of your favorite authors? What about books?I know a lot of books get turned into movies do you usually watch the movie or do you feel they loose something from the print to big screen?



I've been an avid reader since I was around 8. I'm a fan of sci/fi & fantasy, Historical novels and philosophy. Favorite authors include: JRR Tolkien, Roger Zelazny, David Eddings, Jeff Shaara, Anne Rice (she's hit or miss with me, but I like a lot of her stuff), Dan Brown & Thomas Harris. I'm also a big, big, BIG fan of Star Wars and read a lot of the novels.

As for movies made of books, I will generally watch them, but I'm also almost always hyper-critial and hate when they take way too much artistic license. I enjoy the Lord of the Rings movies, but I also don't like how much they were altered (The Two Towers especially, it's nothing more than a decent movie VERY LOOSELY based on a good book).





11.Speaking of movies do you watch a lot of movies or mainly read and listen to music? what are some of your favorite movies of all-time? What makes a good movie in your opinion?



I listen to music & read much more than I watch movies, but that hasn't always been the case. Some of my favorite movies are Star Wars (all 6 of them...YES, even the prequels). Excalibur, Silence of the Lambs & Red Dragon, The Harry Potter movies, Dredd (the good one, not the one with Stallone, though that movie is a guilty pleasure of mine too, simply because I'm a huge fan of Judge Dredd), Lincoln, Gettysburg, Gods & Generals, The Lion King, Evil Under the Sun, Death on the Nile, Star Trek (most series & movies) and Cheesy 80s horror movies.

A good movie captures and holds my imagination and removes me from the real world for a time.

Also, my current favorite anything is Doctor Who.



12.Who are some of your favorite actors and actresses?



Oh wow, this question should be easy, but it's not. hahahaha

Gary Oldman is a huge fave...he can play just about any type of character with flare.

Christopher Lee, David Niven, Peter Ustinov (whom I share a birthday with), Maggie Smith, Diana Rigg, Alex Kingston, Billie Piper, David Tennant, Christopher Eccelston, Richard Harris, Clint Eastwood, Burt Reynolds, Sally Field. A lot of older ones as you can see...hahahahaha


13.Well Heretic thank you for taking the time to fill out this interview! keep up the killer work on the shows I've enjoyed them for awhile now.Do you have any final comments for the readers be we end the interview?


Thanks for taking the time to get to learn more about me. Thanks to those that have listened and will continue to listen to not only my shows but ALL the show on BER, we greatly appreciate it.

       to listen 24hrs a day,get show-times etc...just follow the link below.
                                    
                                       www.brutalexistenceradio.com


                                                 

If any bands,labels would like to contact D.J Heretic directly can contact him through this email.
                                     heretic@brutalexistenceradio.com



OR if you play band more along the lines of a brutal death,grind,technical,doom etc... then be sure to send it to this email email and it will be sent to the d.j/show which it fits best.

                                                                  submissions@brutalexistenceradio.com

                                                                        


                                         
                                                               

      

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment