Hope everyone is having a good weekend? Here is a new interview with the Malaysian band Blasphmachine playing early blackend death metal with a raw but good sounding production.If you are a fan of the early-mid 90's black/death metal scene then definitely check this band out today.
Interview with Rimie vocalist and guitarist of Blasphmachine done by Patrick
1.Metal hails Rimie how is your week going? When did you discover metal music?
Hails Patrick. I'm doing fine here. Tough week with jobs and usual shit going on. Aaah, i cant remember when i start to discover metal. i guess right after my late eldest brother introduced me to his Dio - Holy Diver tape and his Kerrrang home videos.
2.Who were some of the first bands you listened to? Who are some of your current favorite bands?
yeah, i lived in the eastcoast of malaysia where everything is so religously tight and conservatives. My brother was the one studying in the city and everytime he's on holiday, he will bring back some heavy metal tapes. mostly Dio, Malmsteem, Ozzy and Metallica.
3.When did you first meet the other members of Blasphmachine? How did you all come up with the name of the band/
All of us are from a different bands. i came from a death metal background scene to be honest but I am also fans of black metal bands as well. after a long hiatus from my old band, then something urge me to actually play some black death tunes. maybe too much Revenge, Conqueror and Blasphemy worshipping back in the days i would say. then i ask a friend of mine, Syafeg if he could help me out with the drumming. he is also from a brutal death background with his band, AKAREN and also DISLOCATED CEREBRUM. he agreed. Right after that, came Odie from INSIDE to complete the pieces as a bassist. Then we recorded a 3 tracks demo called Hell : Demo, released by ourselve on dub tapes. pass around and sell some of it. maybe around 130 pcs i guess. The name BLASPHMACHINE actually is my idea. mostly our lyrics contains blasphemous content so its kinda resemblance for us as a machine that produce such an anthems.
4.What is the current line-up for Blasphmachine?For the readers who have never heard Blasphmachine's music how would you describe the music?
After the demo relese, Syafeg is concentrating with his other band, DARKREGIME and Odie actually leave the band because he got a transfer to his hometown in borneo. A.P Filthgrinderz help me out with the drumming for our small malaysian tour with INFERNAL CURSE (argentina) and ANGELHOLOCOUST (thailand) in 2013. He then agreed to help me out to record a promo tracks and also a debut release from Blasphmachine. Right after the recording in 2014, he left the band and Syafeg came back to help me out again plus an additional guitarist, Epi. So the current line up now is Rimie (me) - Guitars, Syafeg - Drums, Epi - Guitars. yes, no bass player.
how to describe our sounds ? well. it maybe a dirty filthy cross over between black metal and death metal and also some grinding stuffs. coz we love to play violence.
5.Blasphmachine recently released their newest E.P "Oath" through Cold Raw Rec." how did the band come in contact with this label?
After we records the promo, we did contact lots of labels just asking if they could release our tracks and Cold Raw Records was one of the interest label. with their profesionalism and dedication to bands under him, we chose Cold Raw Records and he agree to release it under his label.
6.How long did it take to write the songs on the "Oath" Mcdr? Does the whole band work on the music or does one member usually write everything?
It didnt take to much time. maybe 3-4 jamm sessions. we usually write together. i usually come with and idea, some riffs, then Syafeg will try to match up with his drumming. most of the tracks written just like that.
7.Who usually takes care of the lyrics for the band? What are some subjects/topics the band writes about?
I did all the lyrics. mostly its all about blasphemous rants and rebellious towards humanity and most oftenly, death. total death is what the world needs now.
8.Does Blasphmachine have any tours or shows planned for 2015? Who are some bands you all have shared the stage with?
Yes, we do have a small tour planned for 2015. we will be playing with NECROWRETCH (france) in August. and hopefully again with our comrades from thailand, SHAMBLES.
9.Blasphmachine comes out of the Malaysian black/death metal scene.What is your opinion on the scene in Malaysia?
Malaysian metal scene is quite unique if u ask me. we have everything here. death metal, black metals. most of the black metal bands here are a rendition of mistical, ethnic and influenced by eastern pagan culture. some of them also influenced by Dimmu Borgir and so on. but now, some of the bands came out from that category and progressively evolving.
10.Who are your all-time favorite Malaysian ? Are their any new bands from Malaysia that you feel the readers should check out soon?
- My choice would be BRAIN DEAD, SIL KHANNAZ and the legendary RATOR. There some new bands worth checking out from here. i can simply say IMPIOUS BLOOD, INSULTOR, CORONATION and NIGHTWOLF really caught my intentions. i really envy them.
11. Rimi you handle the vocals for the band when did you first start screaming/growling?Do you do anything special to keep your voice/throat healthy?Who are some of your influences/favorite vocalists?
I was just a guitarist back then and never thought i could do some vocals in any bands. but in Blasphmachine there's an urge for me to do so and i just try it out. I really wants to keep Blasphmachine simple with not too much band members. Doing guitars and vocals surely can save up times so i give it a try and yes, got some positive feedbacks from friends so it go on just like that. no, i dont have certain special technique on vocals. i just give it a growl and let the echo do the job.
12.Rimi you also handle the guitars for the band at what age did you become interested in playing the guitars? Are you self taught or did you take lessons when first learning?
- Like I said before, I was guitarist first. I started playing guitar quite late . Maybe around 14 – 15 years old. Yes, I’m self taught and just play in front of the cassette player and then started to jamm with friends in studio.
13.Who are your favorite guitarists? Do you currently play any other instruments?
- That would definitely be Chris Ross from Revenge, Pete Helmkamp of Angelcorpse and Ryan Forster of mighty Conqueror and Blasphemy. Yes, I play bass too.
14.In your opinion what is the best and worst thing about the underground scene? And what does Metal underground mean to you?
- Metal is freedom. So the best thing about metal is freedom. Its where your mind, beliefs, indoctrine, politics, is free. Being underground is what we choose. And let em reign free. But the worst thing is there are some who is judgemental about genre’s in the scene. Labeling someone true or fake and what not. That need to stop.
15.Rimie are you or any of the members of Blasphmachine currently working with other bands or solo-projects? If yes please tell the readers about them?
- After my old main band IN TORMENT split-up, I just concentrate with Blasphmachine.but our drummer , Syafeg. He is also a drummer for DARKREGIME.
16.Thank you Rimie for taking the time to fill this interview out do you have any final words for the readers?
- Thanx also to u Patrick for conducting this interview. Last words, do get our promo, “Oath” released by Cold Raw Records (Uk) and soon our 6 tracks debut CD, entitled “Salvation” will be out on Slaughterhouse Records (US) and on Tapes by Analog Ammunition Records (Phil). Total support Primitive Ways Webzine !! Total Death !!! do contact us by e-mail: email@example.com / and via facebook : fb/blasphmachine