Saturday, March 21, 2015

Interview with the U.S heavy metal band Where Evil Follows done by Patrick on 3-21-15

Metal  Hails 
Hope  everyone  is  having  a  good weekend/day?Here  is  a new  interview  with  the  U.S  speed/thrash band   "Where  Evil  Follows"  who  have  just  released their debut  cd  "Portable Darkness"  through  Moribund  Recc.  so  if  your  into  traditional  heavy  metal  with  some elements  of thrash/speed metal  then  do  yourself  a favor  and  buy this  cd  today.
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com






Interview   with  Toby  Knapp  guitarist  of  Where  Evil  Follows   done  by   Patrick




1.Metal  Hails  Toby how  is  2015  starting  out for you?  when did  you  first  encounter   metal  music?
Hails Patrick! 2015 is going great. So far I've devoted the year to music, practicing the guitar several hours a day, recording lots of guest guitar work for my friend Mark Riddick's band Fetid Zombie. I'm also teaching guitar a little bit through internet lessons and a few students in person. I encountered metal at a very young age as it was developing. I was about 4 years old and was always looking through my parents records and I became mesmerized with "Killer" by Alice Cooper, "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, Lots of Uriah Heep, Deep Purple. The biggest life changing record for me was Led Zeppelin's second album- my mom knew that even as a toddler I was gravitating towards the heavy stuff; "Well kiddo, you better hear this album then"- ha,ha- from that point forward I've been hooked. At four years old I knew Jimmy Page was going to be a lifelong inspiration. This all happened to me in the mid 70's before I even started pre-school. I remember also really liking that first Black Oak Arkansas album, their was this intangible creepiness to it that was appealing.
 
 
 
2.At  what  age did  you  become  interested  in  playing  the  guitars?Are  you  self taught  or did you take  lessons  when  first  beginning?
I always wanted to play- I just viewed it as impossible though. My parents sent me to a great teacher when I was around nine I think, but I didn't last because it became so hard. Everything was running smooth until I was confronted with the F chord. I couldn't do it and gave up. A few years later I saw the Led Zeppelin concert movie "The Song Remains The Same" and when it ended, I went and picked up my guitar- taught myself some Zep riffs and never put the guitar down since. That movie made me decide "this is it, this is what I want to do." Things progressed from there when Yngwie Malmsteen arrived on the scene. I had the Jimmy Page fundamentals down and began learning some of Yngwie's way. When my guitar teacher saw this transformation he gave me a Paul Gilbert instructional video "I think this is what you are looking for" he told me- and my life changed
 
 
 
3.Who  are  some  of your   influences/favorite  guitarists? Do  you  currently  play  any  other  instruments  or  are their  any you  would  like  to  learn  to  play  someday?
Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Robert Fripp, Akira Takasaki, Alex Lifeson, Denis D' Amour (Piggy RIP), Akira Takasaki, Tony Fredianelli, Hank Shermann, Michael Denner. I like progressive rock from the 70's, traditional Heavy Metal from the 80's and the early waves of Black Metal up until the late 90's- these are my favorite forms of music. I play drums, bass and keyboards as well. I'm not really interested in learning any new instruments but rather, improving on all those instruments
 
 
 
 
4.  Toby  you  and  Dean  Sternberg{vocalist}  started  Where  Evil  Follows   last  year.What gave  you  the  idea  to  start  up  this  band? For the  readers  who  have  never  heard  Where  Evil  Follows   how  would  you  best  describe the  music?

I just felt the time was right for a traditional heavy metal record. I had come full circle by doing the instrumental album (Static Warfare 2013) followed up by a Black Metal record (Waxen's "Agios Holokauston"2014) and throughout my career- that seems to be the order of albums I do. I also wanted an album out that could translate well live to some crazy headbangers. I want to perform live again and think this album is a good vehicle for that. Where Evil Follows is a kind of traditional Heavy Metal that sounds like the time just prior to thrash. When Slayer's "Show No Mercy" was just aggressive speed metal, Metallica and Megadeth were just heavier heavy metal bands. You had bands like Agent Steel, Helstar, Iron Angel, Abbatoir, Attacker, Warlord, Mercyful Fate, Vicious Rumors, etc. who were traditional metal with that extra boost over the top- but the vocalists were still singing and the music still relatively melodic. That's the sound I was shooting for on this one. It could have been on Combat or Shrapnel Records in the early to mid eighties, when metal was pure.

 
 
 
 
5.Where  Evil  Follows   is  getting  ready  to  release their  debut  cd  "Portable  Darkness"  through  the  mighty  Moribund  Rec.How  long  did  it  take  you  all to  write the  music  for this  release? Do you  both  work on  creating the  music  or do you  write  everything?


It did not take me very long because I was inspired on this one. I knew exactly what I wanted it to sound like, the whole vibe. It is technical to an extent- but not to the point where it's prog for prog's sake. It was made to be enjoyed and not necessarily to impress. I have worked with Dean many times and we have a good chemistry. I simply provide him with all the music and let him take it from there because he doesn't deliver crap, he is one of the best. The only thing I do is say "don't sing over that riff unless you really feel it" I'm giving him a suggestion and an opinion and not a strict order because he knows what he's doing and I trust his judgement. The riffs wouldn't pack a punch without his vocal melodies. His lyrics are intelligent as well.
 
 
 
 
6.Do  you  all  have  any  plans for  any  "live"   performances  this  year  or  is   Where  Evil  Follows   a  studio  only  project/band?
 
If we can find the right drummer and bassist we will definitely be performing live this year- so we are on the hunt now. Dean played bass and is a great musician, but expressed that singing these intricate lines while doing an onslaught on bass guitar might be too much, he's up for it if that's what our only choice is.....but I think he would make an excellent front man vocalist for this band when we tour. If we don't find the right people and don't become a live band for this album, we will still record. Sadly, their was a small moment where there were talks of recruiting the Onward rhythm section, that way fans who missed Onward live would at least see the three surviving members. We would have played some old Onward classics mixed in with the new Where Evil Follows music. That door is closed forever now. I need younger musicians who have the fire and drive. I have never been healthier or playing better so I'm ready to roll.
 
 
 
7.Besides the debut cd  "Portable  Darkness"  does  the  band  have  any  other  merchandise  available  for  the  fans?
It's so new, right now all we have is the cd. There has been talk of doing a vinyl release of the album with a European label and I'm certain we will have some pretty cool shirts soon. As the album progresses along and if we can get a band together I'm sure we will have plenty of merchandise for the fans.
 
 
 
8.Are their  any  plans  to  make  a  music  video  for  any of  Where  Evil  Follows   songs? Are their  any  songs you  feel  would  make  a good  video?

Personally I'd like to do a video for "A World Away". There has been a lot of discussion about doing a video for the Black Sabbath cover "Disturbing the Priest". Maybe we will get to do both. It is still very early in the game and we will see how things go. Videos are often more expensive to make than an album if you want them done right. Again, if live action is in our future, things will move forward in all aspects of the band. Otherwise it's just going to be Dean and I releasing music when we have time. I'm okay with that.
 
 
 
9.Toby I   know  you  have  been  a  part  of the  metal  underground  for  many  years.How  do you   feel  the  scene  has  changed  over  the   years?


Well it was once all about writing letters and trading cassettes through snail mail. It was something you really had to be involved in and take initiative. It was organic and it was real. I remember getting little ads in the mail from Moribund Records when they were just releasing some cassettes or flyers from Norway to order Emperor's first demo direct from the band! It wasn't even called Black Metal- it was "Evil Death Metal." So many aspects of the scene has changed; getting "signed", touring, music. It's a tough scene to break into for a new band because bands out number both fans and labels. This is the good thing about having been in the scene for so long, I have some credibility and play by different rules than newcomers.

 
 
 
10.Besides  Where  Evil  Follows    toby  I  know  you  are  also  the  master mind  behind  the  black metal  band  "Waxen"  when did you  start this  band? How  did you  come  up  with the name for  this  band?


I started Waxen in late 2003 after the demise of my band Onward. I've always been a fan of true Black Metal but wasn't going to do it unless I felt it inside. Well, the first Waxen album "Fumaroth" is a blitzkrieg of hate and the time came again eight years later to deliver another black strike- so Moribund picked me up and that was killer and resulted in "Agios Holokauston" which did pretty good. I can't wait to unleash the third Waxen album, I'm pulling out all the stops. The name Waxen just came to me after finishing the album "Fumaroth"....I just thought "Waxen". It sounded right for the music somehow.


 
 
 
11.Besides  Where  Evil  Follows   and  Waxen  are you  currently   working  with  any  other  bands  or  solo  projects?
I'm gathering up and compiling a bunch of unreleased live footage for a DVD release through Shredguy Records this year. It will have some Onward gigs from the early 2000's and a bonus "solo" gig from 1993. I was thinking of recording a solo neo-classical metal EP to go along with the release of the DVD as part of the whole package. I really have that Malmsteen vibe going on at the moment and would like to capture it on tape since my playing has become much more focused, precise and technical in recent months.
 
 
 
 
12.If you  had  the  opportunity to  work  with  any  musicians{past  or  present}  who  would  you   like  to  work  with?

There are no names anymore. Those things just happen if synchronicities align to make them happen. I've been fortunate to work with musicians like Tony Fredianelli, Ray Luzier, Attila Csihar, Jeff Gruslin, Fetid Zombie, Solium Fatalis, Sean Baker, Steve Plocica, Dean Sternberg and Marcus Johansson.  I don't actively seek collaborators, sometimes things just happen and it works. It is always interesting to see what is next on the horizon, anything is possible.
 
 
 
13.When  not  working  on  music  what  do  you  enjoy  doing  in  your  free  time?
 
Thinking about the next music I'll be working on. Listening to music, collecting music. It's all music, it's never been any other way. I like to read a lot. Lately I've been really into different combinations of guitars and amps. I'm looking for very specific pressings of Beatles albums. I like a good night's sleep and if there is anything interesting to watch, i'll watch it. Some of the seemingly authentic paranormal shows are kinda cool- but I hate it when they begin to look like MTV style reality tv shows, the tv goes off. Popular culture is so fucked.
 
 
 
14.Thank  you  Toby  for  taking  the  time  to  fill  out  this  interview  do  you  have  any  final  comments  for the  readers?
Thank you for checking out the album and coming up with some good questions! I appreciate all my friends and listeners worldwide and I will continue to deliver the musical goods the best I can. Hails!!!
                         
                                                             Label   Contact
                                                      http://www.moribundcult.com/
                                                    https://www.facebook.com/MoribundRecordsOfficial
 
                                                             Where  Evil   Follows  contact

No comments:

Post a Comment