Saturday, May 16, 2015

Interview with Decayed done by Patrick on 5-16-15

Metal  regards
Here  is  a   new  interview  with   Portugal's Decayed  that   have  been  releasing  music  since  the  early  1990's   and  their   newest  cd  "Into The Depths Of Hell"  was   just  released  by  "Hell Prod."  and  is  a great  mix  of  old-school  Black  metal with touches  of death  metal  for  all the  fanatics  into  this  style.
Regards
Patrick
fiendformetal@live.com





Interview  with  J.A  guitarist  for   Decayed   done  by    Patrick





1.Hello  J.A.     how  are  things  in  Portugal going? When  did you  first  discover  metal   music?Who  were  some  of the  first bands you   listened to? Who  are some  of your  current  favourites?
 
 
JA - Hello Patrick and everyone reading this. Things in Portugal could be a lot better. I discovered Metal music back in 1980 but it wasn't till 1986 that I really started listening to it all day long. I discovered all those amazing bands through radio shows that we had back then. I don't remember the first bands I listened to, but the usual back then: AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Venom, Bathory... My favourite band since 1986 has been Venom, the gods of Metal! I mainly listen to the releases done in the 80's, those were the days.
 
 
 
 
2.You  formed   Decayed  in  1990  when  did you  get  the   idea  to  form  this  band?How  did you  come  up  with  the  name  of  the   band?
 
 
 
JA - The idea came in an afternoon of booze with a friend who wanted to start a band with me. He bought a guitar in June 1990 and we immediately started composing some songs. In September we got a drummer and a bass player (both our friends), started rehearsing with me on vocals and then in October we got a proper vocalist (also a friend). The name of the band I took from the Venom song "Senile Decay".
 
 
 
 
 
  3.What  is  the  current   line-up  of   Decayed? For  the  readers  who  may  have   never  heard your  band's  music  how  would  you  best  describe  it?
 
JA - Now we have 2 different line ups. For studio we are myself on guitars and vocals, Vulturius on vocals and bass, Tormentor on drums. But live we have been playing with Nocturnus Horrendus on drums. I describe our music as old school Black Metal in the vein of Venom and Bathory.
 
 
 
 
4.Decayed   is  signed  to the  label   Hell Prod.how  did you  come  in   contact   with  this  label?
 
 
 
JA - We have been friends for many years and they had already released a tape of ours back in 2000. I wanted to release the album as soon as possible and they were the only ones who could do that. 
  
 
 
 
 
 
5.The  new  cd   "Into The  Depths Of Hell"  was  recently  released  how  long  did it  take  the  band to  write  and record  the  songs  on the   new  cd? Does  the   whole  band  take  part  in  the  writing  process  or  does  one member   usually  write  everything?
 
 
 
JA - This new CD has songs written since 2009 to 2014. On this album I decided to use old songs that never made it to an album but that I thought of as good songs. The actual recording started in March 2014 and ended in February 2015. Usually it's me that writes all the material. And since I started to compose at home alone (lack of rehearsals) all the songs have been composed by me. 
 
 
 
 
 
6.Who  usually  takes  care  of  the   lyrics  for   the  band. Where  do you  all  draw  inspiration  for  the  lyrics?
 
 
 
JA - I also write most of the lyrics. It's been some years that I asked someone to write for Decayed. I take my inspiration from life in general, the lack of honour in these days. I also take some inspiration from books that I read or some movies that I watch. 
 
 
 
 
7.Besides  the  new  cd   "Into The  Depths Of Hell"  does  the   band  currently   have   any  other   merchandise  available  for  the  readers?Where  can  the  fans  find  your  releases/merch?
 
 
JA - We have an extensive list of material available, too many to list here. If some Metalhead is interested just send me an e-mail and I'll send the available merchandising. You can contact me at: chroan@sapo.pt 
  
 
 
 
8.Does   Decayed  play  "live"  shows  very  often  or  do you   prefer the  studio?What  have   been some  of your   most   memorable  shows to  date?
 
 
 
JA - We used to be a very active band live, but since 2010 we haven't played that much live. Usually, 2 or 3 gigs each year since 2011. I don't think we can compare the feeling of playing live with the work in studio, it's like compare fire and watter. I enjoy both very much, as much as I enjoy rehearsals. This is the unholy trinity of a band: rehearsals, live and studio and I enjoy them all. Live you can feed on the energy of those going berserk with the sonic blasphemy. In studio one can experiment a lot and I enjoy that. As for memorable shows, we had quite a few in our 25 years so I really can't recall a special one. 
 
 
 
 
 
9.Are their  any tours  planned for  this  year? If  yes  where  are some   places you  all  will    play?
 
 
JA - So far we only have a gig at the Under The Black Sun in Germany (04/07). We're trying to put together a gig in Lisbon (Portugal) to celebrate these 25 years and then in January 2016 we'll be playing at a fest in Portugal in Mangualde. 
 
 
 
 
10.  Decayed   comes   out  of  Portugal's  metal  scene  what  is your   opinion  of  the  metal  scene  in  Portugal?
 
 
 JA - I couldn't care less about the scene in Portugal. Far too many backstabbers and thieves! I do appreciate the music of some bands and I am friends with some of the musicians who are part of this scene, but I had far to many disappointments to be bothered with what's going on.
 
 
 
 
11.Who  are  some   of your  all-time   favorite  Portugese  bands?  Are their   any  new   bands you  feel   the  readers  should  check  out  soon?
 
 
JA - My favourite Portuguese band has always been Brain Dead. They were a Thrash Metal band but sadly they only released 2 demos. V12 are also one of my all time fave. You should check Inquisitor if you're into old school Thrash. Perpretator is also cool in that vein. In these days and age, with a PC you can find out more than I can tell you here. 
 
 
 
 
 
12.Besides    Decayed   you  are  also  the  sole  member  of  Hoth  which  you  formed in  1988. What gave you  the  idea  to  form  this  band? How  did you  come up  with the  name  for this  band/project?  Has  it   always   been  a  one  man  band  or  have  you  searched  for  other  members to   join?
 
 
JA - When I started to think about Hoth I wanted to combine some sort of dark Metal with keyboards, something that wasn't that common back then. The name I took from Tolkien's works. It has always been a one man band, but on the last album (out now!!!) I invited Marco (who also did the lead guitars on the 2 last Decayed albums) to help me out on leads. 
 
 
 
13.You  are  getting  ready  to  release the  new  cd   "The Black  Goddess Returns"  through   Iron Blood  And Death  rec.  how  did you  come  in  contact  with  this  label?
 
 
 
JA - The CD is already out! They had released a compilation CD of Decayed a couple of years ago and I thought of contacting them to see if they were interested and they loved the album, so here it is for you to bang your head! 
 
 
 
 
14.J.A   you   have   been  in  the  metalk  scene  since the  mid  1980's  were  you  ever  a  tape-trader  ?did you  ever  do  a  fanzine or  a web-zine? If  yes  please  tell the  readers  about  them?
 
 
JA - Yes I was a very active tape trader back then, I traded tapes with people from all over the world. I worked for a zine called Nuclear Mosh which at some point I think was the biggest zine in Portugal. They dealt with all sorts of Metal and beyond. I also did a zine on my own with the guys of Decayed, back in 1993 called Impious. This one was more focused on the darker side of Metal and we only did one issue. After that I also worked for the final issue of one Lost Kingdom that was mainly Death and Black Metal.
  
 
 
 
15.What  do  you  feel  is  the  best  and  worst  thing  about  the  underground  metal  scene  today?And  what  does  the  term  underground  metal   mean to  you?
 
 
 
JA - The best thing is that there are still good bands releasing good music. Also now, with the internet it's a lot easier to resolve any problem in a question of seconds. The worst is that any ass-hole with a computer can writte whatever he wants about anything and everything without the least basic knowledge of what he is writing about. Underground means to me: we like what we do and we do what we like! Bow to no one!
 
 
 
 
16.Besides  working  om  music  what  do  you  enjoy  doing in  your  free time?
 
 
JA - Reading, watching movies, hanging out with some friends, drink a few beers, listen to Music... that's basically it. 
 
 
 
 
17.Thank  you  J.A   for  taking  the  time  to  fill  out   this  interview  do  you   have   any  final  words  for  the   readers?
 
 
JA - Thank you Patrick for the support towards Decayed, I apreciate that Metal Brother! If anyone is interested in Decayed or any of my projects, feel free to contact me. All the best and Keep It Metal! 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment